Roughnecks Football

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Even Old Men Have A Story To Tell.

When I came across this a few days ago I couldn't wait to share it with you. I'm just sorry it took this long to post. Read it and spread it around so others will enjoy.

Even Us Old Men Have A Football Story to Tell!

Hey Semi-Pro Football Players:

I wanted to take a moment to tell you of my story playing semi-professional football in hopes to inspire you. At 45 years old, I had the will and desire to see if I could strap it back up and make it on a local team, The Central Oregon Stampede. It had been 24 years since I played JUCO ball down in Southern California.

I made the team. In our first game of the year, I got in with 32 seconds left at nose tackle. I am 5'5, 155 lbs. On the second play I was in, I got roll blocked, tore my ACL, PCL, LCL, and had broken bone chips in my right knee.

I was like, "oh great, two plays and that's it, it can't just end like that!"

My doctor told me I had the same injury that ended Kellen Winslow Sr. career for the Chargers. I did an excruciating year of rehabilitation after surgery to repair the damage. I went back out, in a knee brace the next season.

Again, I made the team. I played sparingly, on kickoff team only. Then, in our final regular season game of the year, my head coach put me in at tailback with a little over a minute left in the game. We were leading 53-8. From the 12 yard line, the play came in, 22 Power. Our 250 lb. fullback saw the fear and excitement in my eyes, and simply said, "Follow me."

I did. After a seven yard run off our right guard, the next play came in... 23 Power. "Oh boy, they really ARE gonna keep giving me the ball."

From the five yard line, I once again followed Big Mark Prickett and as I ran through a gaping hole, I saw the endline, the safety coming over to crush me, the only thing I could hear was my own heavy breathing, the crooked chalk line, the feel to get low, the dive, the knowing my head and shoulders were OVER... touchdown!!!

Nearly 46 years old, I had scored a TD for the first time in my life. I knew at that moment, that there WAS one thing better than sex... That feeling, that cleansing moment, that perfect "eternal baptism in the endzone" ended a lifetime of doubters and self-doubt.

I am forever grateful to Semi-Professional Football for allowing this old man to fulfill a lifelong dream. I am now being researched by the men who run the Record Book of Semi-Pro Football to see if I own a National Record of being the oldest player to ever have scored a rushing TD in a league sanctioned game.

My best to all of you who desire to live out your dreams on the gridiron.

Bill Hoffman

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Mr. Kelly,

    Your posting my story on your team's website is an honor for me.

    Sincerely,

    Bill Hoffman

    ReplyDelete